The 'academic' component of the EE Program covers multiple pillars of the GenWise Curriculum. These curricular elements will be covered over 2 weeks (4-5 hrs/ day), as follows:
Week 1: Mathematics, Science, Design and Technology (STEM Focus)
Week 2: Nature, Society &Individual; Tools for Thinking & Communication (Humanities Focus)
Please click on each week to know (MUCH) more...
While children are free to pick either week, we strongly recommend a balanced exposure to the content over both weeks.
Learn to Solve Crossword Puzzles!
Here’s one more course from the GenWise stables that has been shown to exercise a wide range of cognitive faculties. Learn the basics of unraveling cryptic crosswords, and end with creating your own that other participants try and solve!
23 September 2020
Fee (₹, incl taxes)
About the Course
This course is open to all above the ages of 14. Families are welcome to join in as a group.
Cryptic crossword puzzle solving is a workout for the brain using a combination of both creativity and logic. It is both an art, and a science!
Solving cryptic crossword puzzles have been shown to exercise a range of cognitive faculties, including:
- The general capacity to analyze, reason, problem-solve and think ‘on one’s feet’
- A specific aptitude for cryptographic or mathematical thinking
- The visuospatial ability to mentally manipulate algebraic components of wordplay ‘fodder’
- The ability to pattern-match and, most specifically, complete word fragments provided by cross-checking letters
- The ability to break free from familiar patterns of thought (particularly red herrings deliberately supplied by the setter) using new and unusual interpretations of clue components
- The ability to retrieve words from long-term memory to match synonym definitions.
"The endorphins spike and the cortisol and the adrenaline drops - so there is this real general and genuine wave of pleasure."– From the book “Rewording the Brain”, by David Astle.
In this course, participants will be taken through the various strategies for cracking crossword clues, as well as clue composition. On the final day, participants will have a crack at crosswords compiled by their fellow participants!
We hope this course can start your child on a lifelong journey towards loving wordplay and crossword puzzles!!
1. Cryptic Crossword Creator, David Astle, on The Brain Effects of Puzzles
2. The Grounded Expertise Components Approach in the Novel Area of Cryptic Crossword Solving
About our Facilitator:
Rachit is an electronics engineer who has been designing analog circuits for the past decade. His work experience includes Cosmic Circuits and Cadence Design Systems (which acquired Cosmic Circuits), on the design of integrated circuits for audio codecs, serial interfaces, and phase locked loops amongst other things. He likes to spend his time on reading, understanding audio, building speakers, music, and sports.
Rachit has a Masters degree from the Centre For Electronic Design And Technology at the Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru.
Muralidhar (aka Murali) is senior mentor and course designer at GenWise with 20+ years of experience in the social sector. In addition to delivering Vocational Training to young adults, he is currently responsible for design, manufacturing and marketing operations at a traditional handicraft (wooden toys) enterprise near Bengaluru. Murali has also delivered training and professional development programs for secondary science teachers and 'making' skills to "gifted students" for around 4 years.
Murali has a bachelor's degree in Engineering from IIT Madras.